Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorPoimenia, a pious Roman woman built the first chapel
dc.contributor.authorAbbot Modestus restored the chapel after the Persian destruction
dc.contributor.authorCrusaders renovated the chapel as a roofed octagon with a fortified exterior
dc.contributor.authorSaladin's followers added a stone dome and mihrab
dc.date.accessioned2019-10-24T17:46:13Z
dc.date.available2019-10-24T17:46:13Z
dc.date.created2017-02-28 01:09
dc.date.issuedFirst church was built in 390 AD; destroyed in 614; restored sometime between 614 - 680 as an open round structure with three porticoes; Circa 1150 it was renovated, a roof was added and the exterior was fortified; in 1198 a stone dome and a mihrab were added; a mosque and minaret were added in 1620
dc.identifieroai:oaicat.oclc.org:ASITESPHOTOIG_10313388573
dc.identifierThumbnail: http://media.artstor.net/imgstor/size2/asitesphoto/d0001/sites_photos_r10471155_as_8b_srgb.jpg
dc.identifierImage View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXXkgfVB%2BfQ%3D%3D
dc.identifierRanking: 43750
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12424/1002584
dc.description.abstract~According to tradition, 40 days after the Resurrection Jesus appeared before his disciples and led them to the Mount of Olives, where he parted from them and ascended into heaven (Luke 24:50-51). This event was commemorated by a chapel. Before 312 AD, Christians honored the Ascension of Christ in a cave on the Mount of Olives. Circa 384, the place of the Ascension was venerated on the present site, uphill from the cave, where the first church was built circa 390 by one Poimenia, a pious Roman woman. It was destroyed by the Persians in 614 and restored by the Abbot Modestus. In 680 the church was described as a round building open to the sky, with three porticoes entered from the south. Circa 1150 the Crusaders renovated the chapel as a roofed octagon and fortified the exterior. In 1198 Saladin's followers added a stone dome and mihrab. The building remained a mosque for over 300 years, but fell into ruin by the end of the 15th century. The east section of the octagonal surrounding wall of the chapel was split to form the asymmetrical shrine that stands today. A mosque and minaret were added to the chapel in 1620
dc.rightsFor uses beyond the ARTstor Terms and Conditions of Use, please contact Samuel Magal, Owner and Head Photographer at Samuel@sites-and-photos.com or Ronit Marco, Content Manager, at ronit@sites-and-photos.com; Website: www.sites-and-photos.com; Address: 84 Goshen Blvd. Kiryat Motzkin 26301 Israel; Tel.+972 4 6904 503; Fax +972 4 6904 855; Cell +972 544 799 642
dc.sourceImage and original data provided by Shmuel Magal, Sites and Photos
dc.titleChapel of the Ascension / Dome of Ascension / Aedicula of the Ascension
dc.typeArchitecture and City Planning
ge.collectioncodeOAIDATA
ge.dataimportlabelOAI metadata object
ge.identifier.legacyglobethics:10635817
ge.identifier.permalinkhttps://www.globethics.net/gtl/10635817
ge.lastmodificationdate2017-02-28 01:09
ge.lastmodificationuseradmin@pointsoftware.ch (import)
ge.submissions0
ge.oai.exportid149001
ge.oai.repositoryid256
ge.oai.setnameSetArtstorFull5
ge.oai.setspecSetArtstorFull5
ge.oai.streamid5
ge.setnameGlobeTheoLib
ge.setspecglobetheolib


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record