Abstract~The gate, located almost at the very southwestern corner of the Old City of Jerusalem, which leads both to the Jewish and the Armenian Quarters, was built by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in 1541. It is called 'The Portal of David' (Bab ed-Daoud) by the Arabs, due to the fact it faces Mount Zion, which is traditionally thought to be the place where King David is buried. The gate was damaged by gunfire during the 1948 Israel's Independence War, but it still maintains its original L-shaped layout inside the wall that was built also by Suleiman the Magnificent for defensive purposes circa 1537.
DateBuilt in 1541; Damaged in 1948
TypeArchitecture and City Planning
Image View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXXkgfFF4cQ%3D%3D