Mezquita- Mezquita del Cristo de la Luz; Mosque of Christ of the Light
Full recordShow full item record
AbstractBuilt over the site of a Visigothic church, the Mezquita is one of the oldest Moorish monuments in Spain. An Arabic inscription on the facade tells us that it was constructed by one Musa Ibn Ali in 999 AD (390 AH). Despite its diminutive size, this mosque was very important in the Islamic era, due both to its location in a wealthy quarter and its proximity to the Alcazaba, an elevated fortress that stood on the site of the Alcazar. The history is a little more obscure. After the conquest of Toledo in 1085, the building was still known as Bab-al-Mardum. It wasn't until 1186 that the mosque was converted to a chapel, when it was given by King Alfonso VIII to the Knights of St. John and named Ermita de la Santa Cruz (Chapel of the Holy Cross).
TypeArchitecture and City Planning
Image View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXXIgfFd2fA%3D%3D