Author(s)Initially built by Sultan Mehmed II
architects involved in the design of the structure throughout the years are Alauddin, Davud Aga, Mimar Sinan, Sarkis Balyan
MetadatosMostrar el registro completo del ítem
AbstractThe Topkapi Palace was the official residence of the Ottoman Sultans between 1465-1856. The palace is a major tourist attraction containing some of the most holy relics of the Muslim world. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985. The palace was constructed between circa 1459-1465 upon an order by Sultan Mehmed II. The palace complex comprises four main courtyards and smaller buildings. The complex was Renovated circa 1509 after an earthquake and circa 1665 after a fire. Topkapi Palace lost its importance at the end of the 17th century. In 1856 the royal court moved from there, leaving the palace to serve as an accommodation for ranked officers. In 1924 the Palace was transformed by the Turkish government into a museum of the imperial Ottoman era.
DateBuilt circa 1459-1465; renovated and repaired many times, especially circa 1509 after an earthquake damage and circa 1665 after a fire damage; circa 1856 it ceased to serve as a palace; since 1924 is serves as a museum
TypeArchitecture and City Planning
Image View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXXIgd1J7fg%3D%3D