Author(s)Initially built by Sultan Mehmed II
architects involved in the design of the structure throughout the years are Alauddin, Davud Aga, Mimar Sinan, Sarkis Balyan
Full recordShow full item record
AbstractThe Topkapi Palace, the official residence of the Ottoman Sultans between 1465-1856, is a major tourist attraction containing some of the most holy relics of the Muslim world. A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985, the palace was constructed circa 1459-1465 by order of Sultan Mehmed II. The palace complex comprises four main courtyards and smaller buildings. The complex was renovated circa 1509 after an earthquake and circa 1665 after a fire. Topkapi Palace lost its importance at the end of the 17th century. In 1856 the royal court moved from there, leaving the palace to serve as an accommodation for ranked officers. Since 1924 the Palace serves as a museum. The 4th Courtyard, known as the Imperial Sofa, was the innermost private sanctuary of the sultan and his family. It consists of a number of pavilions, kiosks, gardens and terraces. Originally regarded as a part of the Third Courtyard, however it was separated to better distinguish it and its facilities and functions. Among the structures situated in the 4th courtyard are the Baghdad Pavilion, the Circumcision Room, the Clock Section, the Dressing Room, the Iftariye Pavilion, the Mecidiye Pavilion, the Mustafa Pasha Pavilion, the Revan Pavilion and the Sofa Mosque.
DateBuilt circa 1459-1465; renovated and repaired many times, especially circa 1509 after an earthquake damage and circa 1665 after a fire damage; circa 1856 it ceased to serve as a palace; since 1924 is serves as a museum
TypeArchitecture and City Planning
Image View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXXIneFlxdQ%3D%3D