KeywordsPoupko, Bernard A
Sivitz, M. S
Shaare Torah Congregation (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
Hillel Academy (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
Jews--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Social life and customs
Full recordShow full item record
AbstractThis collection contains records of Shaare Torah from 1936-1993, including records of membership, programs hosted by the congregation, and burials of deceased members. The records are divided into seven series: I. Correspondence; II. Membership; III. Programs and Publications; IV. Minutes/By-laws; V. Cemetery Records; VI. Record Books; VII. Scrapbooks. A commemorative book published in 1955 and offering more details of the congregation's history can be found in Series III.
Records of the Shaare Torah Congregation, Pittsburgh, Pa., 1936-1993, AIS 1998:22, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh.
Gift of Shaare Torah Congregation, Pittsburgh , Pa., 1998.
The Shaare Torah Congregation was founded in 1880 by Orthodox Jewish immigrants to Pittsburgh during the city's industrial expansion. Many of the founders came from Lithuania and Eastern Europe. Several buildings were used as meeting places through the first years of the congregation until the first permanent synagogue was built in 1909. Rabbi Moshe Simon Sivitz served the congregation between from 1881 until his death in 1936. After this loss visiting Rabbis occupied the pulpit until January 10, 1943, when Rabbi Bernard A. Poupko was installed. On April 20, 1947, ground was broken for the congregation's current building at the intersection of Murray and Nicholson Avenues in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Since its founding, Shaare Torah Congregation has been an active center for worship, learning, and culture. It has undertaken many philanthropic efforts in the local Jewish community, such as establishing an annual scholarship to Yeshiva University and Hillel Academy and contributing to other Jewish institutions of higher learning in America and Israel. Shaare Torah is a member of the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America. More information about Shaare Torah's current activity can be found on their Web site: http://www.shaaretorah.net/index.php.
Finding aid Available in repository and on Internet; Folder level control; http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/f/findaid/findaid-idx?type=simple;c=ascead;view=text;subview=outline;didno=US-PPiU-ais199822
Copyright/LicenseCopyright Not Evaluated. The copyright and related rights status of this Item has not been evaluated. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Urban League of Pittsburgh records, 1915-1963Urban League of Pittsburgh; University of Pittsburgh (depositor) (1915-1963)The records of the Urban League of Pittsburgh, founded in 1918, contain minutes, correspondence, department reports, photographs and Urban League Fellows theses from 1915-1963, with a concentration of materials between 1918-1945. Many of the records were destroyed in a fire that occurred in the League offices in 1945. The collection is divided into 9 series according to subject and are arranged chronologically and alphabetically. The strength of the collection concerns African-American employment and training. Topics such as federal housing projects, youth employment, worker discrimination and African-American welfare work. The records contain extensive material about the National Urban League, Negro Industrial Welfare Workers, National Vocation Opportunity Campaign and Camp Weldon Johnson. The photographs separated from the general collection maintain the file numbers present in this finding aid.
Sala Udin Papers 1980-2005 1995 - 2005Udin, Sala (1980-2005)Sala Udin, an activist and community organizer at local and national levels, served on Pittsburgh City Council from 1995-2005, representing Council District 6, which includes the Hill District, downtown Pittsburgh, and portions of the North Side and Oakland. The bulk of the materials in this collection document his time on city council and include subjects such as African-American and minority history, employment, and culture; Pittsburgh's financial crisis; and police accountability.
Guide to the Papers of Gregg L. Neel, 1873-1983This guide to the collection was originally prepared by Historical Society Staff in 1988. Papers reorganized and inventory rewritten by Alexis Morgan and Corey Seeman on September 1, 1994.Revisions occurred to the finding aid as a part of the encoding process in Summer, 2001. (Historical Society of Western PennsylvaniaDigital Research Library, University Library System, Summer, 20)Gregg Neel was a prominent Donora (Washington County), Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania real estate developer and businessman who also played a significant role in local and statewide politics, medical care and insurance. These papers include correspondence, speeches, reports, organizational records, real estate materials, and other sundry items documenting Neel's numerous commercial and political activities in Pittsburgh and elsewhere in Pennsylvania.