Vilniaus universiteto profesūros pritarimas teisės fakulteto įsteigimui
Arangement of the Department of Law in the Vilnius University
Kazimieras Leonas Sapiega
The Department of Law in Vilnius University
The Faculty of Law
The Foundation of the Faculty
Full recordShow full item record
AbstractThe high codification culture of Lithuanian laws and state and international interests simply did not agree with the structure of studies at the University of Vilnius founded in 1579, where law, like medicine, did not find a place. Both of the founding documents of Vilnius University signed by the ruler Stephen Báthory included interdictions to teach the subjects of law and medicine. However, the papal bull issued by Pope Gregory XIII on 30 October 1579 permitting the college to be elevated to a university allowed for the instruction of all subjects which were taught at universities in other Christian countries, so the door to Vilnius University was not slammed shut for law and medicine. The first knowledge of efforts on the part of Lithuanian statesmen to establish departments of law and medicine is from 1618. First, the legal bases for the introduction of new studies were settled. Material support had been promised by Court Marshal of Lithuania Kazimieras Leonas Sapiega (Kazimierz Leon Sapieha), who served as Deputy Chancellor of Lithuania from 1645. He funded the Law Faculty, with four departments and four professorships: two in canon (church) law and two in civil rights. The article presents a collective letter of gratitude written by Vilnius University professors and officials to Sapiega which also reflects their attitude towards expansion of the university and the universal support for the establishment of the Faculty of Law; it also shows how subjects of law were valued by the state and Vilnius society. This letter is a reliable source regarding the university’s faculty and and the duties thereof. The original letter is safeguarded at the Polish Library of Paris (Biblioteka Polska w Paryżu).