[[alternative]]Research on Social Support and Life Stress for Junior High School Girl Students at Aboriginal Country in Central Region of Taiwan
aboriginal townships;teenage girls in junior high school;social support;life stress
Full recordShow full item record
[[abstract]]This study mainly attempted to explore the sources, dimensions and conditions of the social support for the teenage girls in aboriginal townships and the sources of their life stress, as well as the differences in social support and life stress between the aboriginal teenage girls and non-aboriginal teenage girls in aboriginal townships.In this study, the teenage girls in the nine junior high schools within the seven aboriginal townships in the central area of Taiwan were taken as the research subject to complete the questionnaire survey. A total of 528questionnaires were distributed and 498 were collected with a recall rate of valid questionnaires of 94.32%. The analysis was conducted based on the 444 valid questionnaires, and the research results of the statistical analysis are listed as follows:(1) The distribution of the grade of the participants was uniform. More than 30% of the participants lived with their parents or other people, 35% were the youngest child of their family, 48% came from a family with sufficient economic resources, nearly 60% had used the subsidies of social resources, 55% were aboriginal and the rest were non-aboriginal, and 45% of the participants believed in Christianity or Catholicism.(2) As for the sources of social support, peer support accounted for the majority of the support that the participants had received, followed by teacher support, family support, religious support, social welfare support, and the support from tribal organizations.(3) As for the dimensions of social support, emotional support accounted for the majority of the support that the participants had received, followed by tangible support and informational support.(4) As for the life stress, the stress of future development was the highest that the participants were aware of, followed by the stress of school life, the stress of family life, the stress of cultural differences, and the stress of geographical location.(5) Different personal information resulted in different sources of social support, dimensions of social support, and life stress.(6) There was a positive correlation between the sources of social support and the dimensions of social support. Moreover, there was a correlation between the sources of social support and life stress. Among which, family support, teacher support, and peer support all showed a negative correlation with life stress, whereas religious support, social welfare support, and the support from tribal organizations showed a positivecorrelation with life stress, showing that the higher the religious support, social welfare support, and the support from tribal organizations that the participants received, the greater the pressure they tended to feel.(7) There was a negative correlation between the dimensions of social support and life stress.According to the above research results, this study suggests the following five recommendations:(1) The school counseling office can provide relevant information in the future development through publications, lectures and conferences for students to prevent them from feeling too much pressure on the future development.(2) School teachers should be a role model for teenagers when giving the counseling to their students, assisting them to have a better self-understanding of themselves and helping them to deal with day-to-dayproblems.(3) Parents should strengthen their awareness of family support, focus on creating a better family atmosphere and a sounder family structure, and provide their children with warm emotional support. By doing this, childrenwill feel less stress of family life.(4) Social workers should hold a professional, caring and tolerant attitude towards their service objects. While the service objects receive more support, social workers can reduce their pressure at the same time.(5) It is recommended that the relevant government authorities should relax the restriction on financial aid or have a further understanding of the needs of the people while reviewing the case in order to help the teenage girls reduce their pressure caused from the economic problems of their family.