Competencies required by the industry coaches to perform new tasks in the implementation of the National Dual Training System in Malaysia
AbstractIn the National Dual Training System (NDTS), the industry plays an important role to ensure 70% of the training is carried out at the workplace. The rest 30 % of the training will be carried out at the training institution premises. The purpose of this study is to develop knowledge and understanding of the new tasks for the industry personnel as coach in the emerging National Dual Training System (NDTS) so that appropriate developmental opportunities can be provided to assist in undertaking these tasks. This study has explored, firstly, to identify the new tasks that were carried out by the coaches in the industries implementing NDTS; Secondly, the study has investigated the qualifications required by different categories of the coaches in the implementation of NDTS at workplace; and thirdly, the study has investigated whether is there any significant different needs between categories of the coaches in terms of new tasks. The population involved in the study were the coaches appointed by 159 companies that already agreed to joint NDTS programme. The study has used questionnaires as a survey method to obtain data from coaches by using standardized questions. Aside from surveys, this study also has employed interview and expert's group discussion with industries personnel. The results of study show that the expected NDTS Coaches need to acquire qualification and competencies in all these factors such as training methodology, technical skills, technical theoretical knowledge, curriculum development skills, management of training activities, instructional evaluation and assessment, trainee's guidance and placement, development of professional roles and performance, and language proficiency.
Sulaiman, Mohamad (2010) Competencies required by the industry coaches to perform new tasks in the implementation of the National Dual Training System in Malaysia. PhD thesis, Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia.