Full recordShow full item record
AbstractObjective: To report our experience in managing various benign and malignant renal tumors with nephron-sparing surgery. Materials and Methods : Records of patients who underwent nephron-sparing surgery (NSS) either through open or laparoscopic approach between May 1997 and June 2006 at our institution were reviewed. Patient and tumor-related characteristics, treatment modality and complications were noted. Results : There were 26 patients (29 renal units), including three with bilateral lesions who underwent nephron-sparing surgery. Mean age at surgery was 47.0 years (range 16-67 years). Mean tumor size was 4.7 cm (range 2-7.5 cm). Mean warm ischemia time was 41 min and 32.5 min, operative time 158 min and 186 min and blood loss 200ml and 85 ml in open (n=24) and laparoscopic approach (n=2) respectively. Complications were seen in five (19.2%) patients of whom two had postoperative bleeding requiring nephrectomy in one and angioembolization in another. One patient with persistent urinary leak required intervention. Local wound infection in one patient and incisional hernia in another were surgically managed. Histopathological profile revealed 13 (44.8%) benign lesions which included angiomyolipoma (eight), simple cyst (two), cortical adenoma (one), metanephric adenoma (one) and myelolipoma (one). The remaining 16 (55.2%) malignant lesions included renal cell carcinoma (15) and metastatic adenocarcinoma (one). At a mean follow-up of 38.6 months (range 1-91) no patient had local recurrence or distant metastasis. Cancer-specific survival was 100% and overall survival was 92.3%. Conclusions: Nephron-sparing surgery is a safe and effective alternative to nephrectomy in both benign and malignant lesions of the kidney.