Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorOriginal towers built by Herod the Great
dc.contributor.authorcurrent towers, bastions, monumental entrance, minaret and most structures built by Ottoman sultan Suleiman the Magnificent
dc.date.accessioned2019-10-24T15:43:11Z
dc.date.available2019-10-24T15:43:11Z
dc.date.created2017-02-28 00:54
dc.date.issuedBuilt on the ruins of the Herodian Towers erected originally circa 24 BC and destroyed circa 135 AD; Circa 638 it was partially restored; circa 1099 a fortified tower and moat were built; destroyed circa 1260 and rebuilt again; between 1537-1541 the place was extensively overhauled with towers, bastions and a monumental entrance; a mosque's minaret was added circa 1635
dc.identifieroai:oaicat.oclc.org:ASITESPHOTOIG_10313387710
dc.identifierThumbnail: http://media.artstor.net/imgstor/size2/asitesphoto/d0001/sites_photos_r10470264_as_8b_srgb.jpg
dc.identifierImage View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXXkgcl16eA%3D%3D
dc.identifierRanking: 43750
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12424/982610
dc.description.abstract~Located near Jaffa Gate, this well fortified citadel having five towers lies where Herod's three monumental guarding towers stood at the western gates of the Second Temple Period Jerusalem. These towers, built circa 24 BC, were destroyed circa 135 AD by Roman Emperor Hadrian. Byzantine Christians wrongly assumed the monumental ruins were the remains of King David's palace, hence the name "Tower of David" or "David's Citadel". Circa 638, the citadel was restored by the Muslims. Circa 1099 the Crusaders built a tower surrounded by a moat inside the citadel, which became the seat of the Crusader Kings of Jerusalem. After conquering Jerusalem by Saladin in 1187, the Mamluks destroyed the place circa 1260 and rebuilt it later. The citadel later was rebuilt and renovated several times by the Ottoman sultan Suleiman the Magnificent between 1537 and 1541. He also added a monumental entrance to the citadel that still stands today. The towering minaret was added circa 1635, as part of an Ottoman mosque that existed at the site. The citadel was used as a barracks for Ottoman-Turkish soldiers for about 400 years. Today the citadel serves as a museum and an archaeological park under Israeli rule
dc.rightsFor uses beyond the ARTstor Terms and Conditions of Use, please contact Samuel Magal, Owner and Head Photographer at Samuel@sites-and-photos.com or Ronit Marco, Content Manager, at ronit@sites-and-photos.com; Website: www.sites-and-photos.com; Address: 84 Goshen Blvd. Kiryat Motzkin 26301 Israel; Tel.+972 4 6904 503; Fax +972 4 6904 855; Cell +972 544 799 642
dc.sourceImage and original data provided by Shmuel Magal, Sites and Photos
dc.title"Tower of David"
dc.typeArchitecture and City Planning
ge.collectioncodeOAIDATA
ge.dataimportlabelOAI metadata object
ge.identifier.legacyglobethics:10608027
ge.identifier.permalinkhttps://www.globethics.net/gtl/10608027
ge.lastmodificationdate2017-02-28 00:54
ge.lastmodificationuseradmin@pointsoftware.ch (import)
ge.submissions0
ge.oai.exportid149001
ge.oai.repositoryid1470
ge.oai.setnameSetArtstorFull5
ge.oai.setspecSetArtstorFull5
ge.oai.streamid5
ge.setnameGlobeTheoLib
ge.setspecglobetheolib


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record