Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulcher, 13th station of the Cross - Stone of Unction
Author(s)Original church commissioned by Constantine the Great and designed by Zenobius and Eustachius
restored by the Abbot Modestus in 629
restored again in 1048 by emperor Constantine Monomachus
modified by the Crusaders from 1099 to 1149
rebuilt circa 1808 by Greek monks
Full recordShow full item record
Abstract~The Via Dolorosa indicates the approximate route Jesus followed while bearing the burden of the cross, from the Antonia Fortress to the Calvary. The route consists of 14 stations. The way starts next to the Muslim quarter, and finishes next to the Christian Quarter of the Ancient City of Jerusalem. Near the Church's entrance a slab of polished pink stone is embedded into the floor. The rectangular stone is flanked by candles and eight lamps are hanging over it. This is the 13th station of the cross, according to some tradition (while other identify the 13th Station where the Stabat Mater Altar is situated, between the Chapels of Station XI and Station XII). The stone is located on the site where the former Oratory of the Unction was situated. This oratory was removed during the many architectural changes the building underwent. It is believed that this is where Jesus' body was placed after it was removed from the cross, and anointed with myrrh and aloe.
DateBuilt 326-335 AD on a location of a Roman Pagan Temple from the 2nd century AD ; Destroyed in 614 and restored again in 629 ; The church was destroyed again in 1009 and restored yet again in 1048; modifications started in 1099 and completed in 1149; in 1808 a fire destroyed much of it and soon after works begun to rebuild it again.
TypeArchitecture and City Planning
Image View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXX4ufFx1cA%3D%3D