Full recordShow full item record
Abstract~The Giralda tower was constructed by the Moors between 1184 and 1197. It was the minaret of the mosque that stood on the site now occupied by the Cathedral of Seville. It is considered the finest of the three great Almohad minarets: the others are in the Moroccan cities of Rabat and Marrakesh. The side facades of the Moorish minaret are on most levels broken up by arched windows which are flanked by ornamental panels. After the reconquest in 1568 the Christians fitted the minaret with the bell tower, reaching a total height of almost 100 m. The upper third is in Baroque style. Today it serves as the bell tower of the Cathedral of Seville. Because of its weather vane, it is known as the Giralda.
Location: Province of Seville, Autonomous Community of Andalusia. Calle Alemanes
DateOriginally erected between 1184 and 1197; fitted with a Christian bell tower in 1568
TypeArchitecture and City Planning
Image View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXHwofV56fQ%3D%3D