Full recordShow full item record
Abstract~On the southern side of the wall, the Zion Gate, built in 1540 slightly to the west of the Roman gate that marked the end of the Cardo, leads into the Armenian quarter that is located in the southwestern part of the Old City. The quarter is inhabited only by Armenians. The Armenian community in Jerusalem dates back to the early Roman times, circa 1st century AD. The area adjacent to the western sections of the walls of the Old City, up to where Herod's palace stood is called the Armenian Garden. This area is bounded on the east by the street that runs under the arches of the building that houses the seat of the Armenian Patriarchate. Armenians were the first nation in antiquity to embrace Christianity (circa 301 AD). There are two branches of the Armenian Church; the Catholic and the Gregorian (after St. Gregory the Illuminator) which is Monophysitic.
DateSince the 1st century AD; Embraced Christianity circa 301 AD
TypeArchitecture and City Planning
Image View: http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?fs=true&id=8CNaaSQwKSw0NzU8dSUURXorXX4ufFt9dg%3D%3D